Status of the work for this 0.6.16 version:
fixing the memory leak in the creation of a 3D scene, due to bad code with the generation of satellites.
- [WIP] adding a full and definitive implementation of Low and Geosynchronous Orbits, including changes in 3D and user’s interface.
- [WIP] removing the 3D space units and replacing them by 2D counterparts (icons) + updating the Unified Management Interface to permit the player to see the list of its space units and to be able to set mission orders directly from it.
- adding assets: 2D pictures, icons and new infrastructures.
- [New: DONE] fix: clicking many time on the view doesn’t freeze/break FARC anymore.
- [New: DONE] the code to orbit space units in 3D is deprecated and removed.
- [New: WIP] all the code to load / generate 3D space units in the main view is removed.
- Factions / Expeditions & Backstories / Starting Space Units:
- [New: DONE] modifiy the enumerations to specify generic attitude for space units starting in orbit.
- FARC Universe Generator (FUG):
- [New: WIP] changes in the calculations of the Main Travel Distance for the regions of an orbital object. The reason was that calculation of polar (north-south) distance was biased and not reflected 100% reality.
- [New: DONE] remove the GravSphereCoef, used for low orbit. It is ridiculous and useless. Don’t ask me why I used such synthetic modifier in the calculation of the low orbit…
- [NOT DEV => DONE] creation of stylized surfaces with their regions to show the configuration of ranges of latitudes and longitudes, and how latitudes are linked to each other in a 360 degrees orbit. There are English and French versions of these pictures.
- [New: WIP] change how the CMC_baseDistance is determined, since there is no more 3D presence of space units.
- [New: WIP] take into account if the space unit(s) are in low or geosynchronous orbits.
- Space Units (in-game):
- [NOT DEV => DONE] expand location/attitude to the 2 types of orbits. All possible types of orbits, for any type of surface, are implemented.
- Time Flow System (TFS) / Tasks Subsystem:
- [New: DONE] cleanup of tasks in process: replace OTL lib threading code by the Parallel coding of the new Delphi.
- [New: WIP] overhaul of the data to list the space units in orbit, for each orbital object. Now it support fully the low and geosynchronous orbits, and the maximum number of space units in an orbit is no more limited (dynamic array).
- [New: WIP] all the low orbit data are recalculated and updated with correct values (see FUG additions).
I’m sorry there’s are no screenshots, nothing is done yet.
I actually updating three big parts; the Orbits panel, the removal of the 3D counterparts of the space units, and the replacement of the action panel by better elements of interface.
The whole brings a bit of work but it will be definitive. I need to implement a way to locate and calculate distance for space units, since there are no more in the 3D view, and I already have it on paper and I implementing it.
It involve a bit more math but again I haven’t reinvented the wheel, I simply use the calculations to determine the coordinates of a point in space between to other points in a sort of vector. These coordinate and relative target (destination) vector will be necessary for space combat and Points of Interests, among other things.
Anyway the dev progress pretty well; all the type of orbits, including equatorial and polar coordinates are fully implemented now. I just have to continue to update and clean the code affected by all the changes and after that I will finally complete the Orbits panel and expand it with hints and interface elements to set missions and see basic informations, the ones you could see when a space unit was focused in the 3D view in the previous versions.
I also want to confirm that the 64 bits version set a new game well faster than before. It wasn’t just a feeling.
Thanks for your interest and stay tuned!